Read the award-winning Clutton Cox Blog

News and Events

Radon Gas: Am I Bothered?

View profile for Paul Hajek
  • Posted
  • Author

Update: this blog has now been updated, and you can view it here.

Your Conveyancing Solicitor will tell you when you are buying your new home whether it is likely to be affected by Radon Gas.

This information will be revealed as one of the standard enquiries asked of the Local Authority.

Very interesting, but what you may say is it, and what has it got to do with me and my dream home.

Well, Radon Gas is a naturally occurring radioactive gas, which is found in uranium in rock strata beneath the earth. The difficulty is that you cannot see it feel it or touch it.

There are traces in most parts of the country, but higher than average incidences are found in counties such as Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. Gloucestershire and Bristol and Bath will also show as areas affected by Radon Gas.

Radon Gas may increase the risk of certain types of cancer notably lung cancer. It is important, however, to note that it is only one of several factors in such illnesses and it would be difficult to single Radon Gas out as the main cause.

The Good News:

You can protect your home by increasing sub floor ventilation.

If you home was built after 1988, additional sub floor ventilation would have been constructed by the Builders, as it forms part of the NHBC requirements.

If your home was built prior to 1988, you can install monitoring equipment which will judge levels of Radon usually over a 9 month period.

Will Radon Gas affect my ability to sell my home?

It is unlikely to do so even where properties were built prior to 1988.

The time taken to monitor is usually the reason why most people would not bother. It would always be possible for a buyer to have works done at their expense after completion has taken place.

In our experience of almost 30 years we have not come across a Seller who has had monitoring or remedial work carried out to their property because of Radon Gas concerns.

There are a number of websites where you can obtain further information such as the Health Protection Agency and a map showing the most affect areas from The Department for Rural and Food Affairs.

In all case where you have any anxieties contact your Conveyancing Solicitor.