Why on Earth Would Anyone Buy a House in Yate?
Two weeks ago we kicked off a series of blogs on towns and villages in the local area.
Without further ado we bring our second instalment to you:
15 Facts About Yate That We Think You Should Know.
(Don’t worry, there will again be facts ranging from quite interesting to quite dull!)
1. Yate is about 12 miles north east of Bristol and 15 miles north west of Bath. It has excellent motorway connections with both the M4 and M5 close by. It has its own railway station and Parkway station is 8 miles away.
2. Yate was mentioned in the Doomsday Book. The name comes from the word ‘giete’ – old English for ‘a gateway into a forest area’. In slightly more recent times, Yate was a thriving farming community with three manor houses.
3. St Mary’s Church dates from Norman Times.
4. Yate was heavily developed in the 1960’s as a commuter town for Bristol. As well as a large number of housing developments, the new town included a shopping centre and leisure centre.
5. The shopping centre has recently been redeveloped and now has one of the largest Tesco Extra stores in Europe (but not quite the floor space of the Palace of the Parliament in Bucharest!). There is also an M&S Simply Food and a Costa.
6. There is a secret stretch of unused dual carriageway. It was part of a bypass, but it was abandoned when finance ran out. It is used as a location for filming, and has been featured in Casualty a number of times.
7. The opening of the railway station in 1844 truly established Yate, as it was a stop on the important Bristol to Gloucester line. It was closed in 1965 and reopened in 1989. Trains go to Bristol Parkway.
8. The town is twinned with Bad Salzdetfurth in Germany and Genieri in Gambia. Truly international!
9. In 2008 a new health centre was built next to the leisure centre.
11. Estate Agents in Yate: Most of the estate agents in Yate are part of corporate organisations. They employ hard selling tactics to sell you other services such as mortgages and conveyancing. For example, the conveyancing linked with the corporate agents is not carried out locally but in another country. They are:
12. In 2011 a Youth café and cinema opened called The Armadillo. It caters specifically for 11 to 19 year olds, but also holds a ‘Senior Cinema Club’ on Thursday mornings.
14. You may hear people referring to ‘North Yate’ and ‘South Yate’. The terms were thought up by estate agents to differentiate between the two (at the time) new housing developments.
‘South Yate’ was created in the 1960’s as part of the re-development as a commuter town. ‘North Yate’ was built in the 1980’s and 1990’s.
15. Yate is kicking off the festive season on 13th November! Peter Andre will be turning on t he Christmas Lights. He will also be performing alongside a One Direction tribute act and some local bands!